Have you ever wondered the secret to flawless makeup application aside air brushing? Perfect foundation, brows, blush, shadows and so on? Well, the answer is simple, good old quality makeup BRUSHES it is guys. A lot of women feel until you have a studio shoot, wedding or anything editorial before makeup brushes can be used but that isn't true. Luckily these days, several brands have developed quality brushes with soft bristles which are affordable, portable and very easy to use. While the types of makeup brushes are limitless (foundation, concealer, bronzer, powder, blush, shadow, contour.....amongst many), we will be having a look at 'my' most essential (with a little description) ones which are about 6.
1. Foundation Brush - For a flawless application of your foundation. Even though i don't use one, i've seen a couple of magic created with this stuff. Apply a little bit of pressure when using. These brushes have rounded ends which are usually flat.
2. Liner Brush (flat) - I've gotten quite a lot of mails on brows in the past, trust me, we are all dreaded by it. Fortunately, this is one brush/technique that has helped me overcome that fear and has worked brilliantly over the years. With this brush, all you need to do is apply a bit of concealer and run underneath and above your brows after filling properly. You'd be amazed at the result. They are usually sharp angled for easy drawing.
3. Powder Brush - They are the most bulky of all makeup brushes. Suitable for both pressed and loose powder. Remember to always shake off any excesses before use and apply in a circular motion for a fine finish.
4. Blusher Brush - I always say one of the happiest times in a girls life is when she's applying her blush. Lol. It may sound funny but there's just this feeling i get when i'm at that point in my makeup routine - its like you staring at the mirror and like, dahm! i'm hot! These brushes come with rounded ends, full and really soft to help you define the apples of your cheek.
5. Shadow Brush - Want an excellent smooth coverage and not the messy shadows you see around? Get one of these. The bristles are very soft such that it allows the shadow color spread evenly across your lid.
6. Blending Brush - Luckily for me, a lot of my liners and pencils come with its very own blending brush so all i do is draw then blend. However, if it doesn't, you could make use of this brush. Perfect for smokey eyes and blending in your shadows (particularly when you're applying more than a color on your lid). They're usually a bit firm, also with rounded ends.
And for those who are into it
7. Contour Brush - Contouring might not be what you do everyday but for those moments when you intend amplifying and taking your look to the next level, go for it! Perfect for contouring with both cream and powder. See my full post on nose contouring here. The are roundly angled.
Care - Hygiene is ofcos very essential. Clean your brushes with warm water and soap atleast once in two weeks to get rid of bacteria and dirt that might end up causing pimples and so many other infection that will further damage your face. Wash with a brush cleanser or mild soap.
Also get a brush purse/set. This properly places and protects your brushes from dust and harsh weather damage. Do not expose your brushes unnecessarily.
As i said, there are a whole lot of others but if you aren't considering a career in makeup, these essential ones will do. The most exciting part is that you don't have to be a professional to use any of these brushes. Its the festives so indulge yourself this beautiful season and look smashing. Remember, you're worth it!
Follow me on twitter @soladunn and let's get talking......