Thursday 18 July 2013

SolaDunn's top 5 styling tips for first dates and meetings..........




Either we're going out on our very first date, meeting up with in-laws or beaus friends - we all can attest to how a little intimidating and overwhelming the experience is or can be. That sudden rush of adrenaline through your body, heartbeat doubling up, sweaty feet and palms, that little voice in your head constantly telling you you're not the one amongst other crazy thoughts - boy! Don't we wish we could just pass! *straight face* 


Thing is, whatever the next chapter is from there, your 'first' appearance matters or rather, goes a long way in determining how you would be welcomed/accepted that particular day (as they say, first impressions lasts longest). So for this reason, i've decided to write on my top 5 styling tips to guide you towards that 'almighty' day. Lol!


The most important thing to have at the back of your mind (particularly at this part of the world, Africa/NIGERIA to be precise) is that MODESTY is Key! Not just in appearance but in attitude as well.

Note that your beau, his friends and in-laws are still going to be seeing a lot of you (God willing) so don't worry if you have to let go of one or two of your most favorite apparel. 

Either you're meeting up with your husband to-be parents/family, going out on a first date or your first introduction to your boyfriends peeps, here are a few styling tips you should take note of

1. Wear a dress - it is highly important you look as feminine as possible. If you're like me (pants freak), this might be a little difficult but c'mon now, its only for a day! Also, when I say 'dress' - its not just any type of dress. Make sure you wear dresses with sleeves (short, three quarter or long) and ensure they are knee length or a couple of inches below the knee. Stay off sleeveless and bodycon dresses. They could send the wrong message. No skirts and tops, pants, jumpsuits or rompers! No cleavages, okay maybe a little. It may cost you a couple of bucks but invest in a really nice piece. . Shhhh.....he'll pay for it later. Lol!


2. Wear subtle makeup - Ensure to go easy on the eye-shadows, foundation, powder and particularly lipsticks. Never wear red lipstick! I highly recommend a soft smokey eye and nude lips. Wear light foundation regardless of your acmes (they are still gonna be seeing a lot of them later on now, wouldn't they, lol) and if possible, excuse the fake lashes for just that day. OMG Sola, am gonna be too exposed you say! Don't worry, if there's anything I've learnt about beauty, CONFIDENCE is sexy! Checkout my barely there makeup routine post to guide you. You may also look-up celebrities like Gabrielle union, Christina Milian and Megan Good for clues on how to pull this off.


3. Go easy on the heels - since our theme for the occasion is modesty, I'd suggest you wear shoes that are not more than 4 inches regardless of how tall or short you are. Sky high stilettos could send the wrong signals so walk majestically in your pumps! Don't wear loud colors too, opt for blacks and neutrals. Don't wear boots!


4. Hair - As an African woman (naija girl), I would recommend you wear braids or weaving. You know, something your scalp can show through (believe me, men love that). However, for some of us who are weave addicts (lol), do not let your hair 'all out there'. Do a sweet top knot or pony tail, those two are very girly and beautiful. Please, i repeat, PLEASE stay away from colored extensions and overly loud hair except you're miss Halima Abubakar okay!


5. Accessories - oh my favorite! Am sure by now, a lot of you would know am a lover of 'understated accessorizing'. Choose a vocal point and play around that. Be it a statement necklace, ring, earrings or bangle - remember to choose just one. Do not wear anklets! Also, if you have a navel piercing like me, take the ring off so as to avoid any form of 'hugging' accidents (if you know what I mean) *winks*


Now see below a combination of all these essentials put together as worn by very classy women like Kate Middleton and Genevieve Nnaji.


You looking like this, not so bad right! I know we all want to look all glamed up and drop dead gorgeous that day but a classy ensemble such as this isn't bad. Leave more to the imagination!

Always remember, in fashion/beauty - less is always more (trust me). So, be bold, be confident, be beautiful, be classy, be sophisticated and most importantly, BE A LADY. Portray good manners and don't talk too much - no matter how interesting the conversation gets.

I love you for reading and please remember to give me feedbacks. Kisses!

Follow and share pictures with me on twitter @soladunn and let's interact!


Love,
SolaDunn.

19 comments:

  1. Sola u'r da best.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. All u said was so on point..I would pick kate she is so stylish and classy..I learnt so much from Todays write up.But Madam sola dunno if u got the mail I sent u? SALAM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love u sola....tnx
    Honney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... Am so happy i came across this post.u've been doing a wonderful job sola and its so inspiring and motivating.. Will be meeting my beau 4 d first time and its so been uneasy cos I'll be meeting his family as well.. Maybe potential future inlaws..hehehehe..been so nervous on d right or appropriate outfit 2 wear. So nerve wrecking. Thanks At last! Been able 2 get help 4rm ur post.. Gods blessings on u sola.. Love u*hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. On point. Tnks 4 d tips

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sola dearie, tnx 4 d tips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sola thanks for this...really grateful and nice write up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My bf's mom likes the opposite of ALL,lol.. D first day I met her,I played 'safe' though I usually don't use eyeshadows.. First thing she said after we exchanged greetings was 'but u know u would have looked perfect with ruby woo',omo, I went to apply my thing o and got praises throughout! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. africaintels.com19 July 2013 at 10:53

    wow.you are so on point.visit my blog www.africaintels.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sola, where can I meet a guy I'm single and searching. So I can use these tips naaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister, i was about asking my readers/visitors that too o. Lol! God go provide sha, i believe! Fingers crossed..........xoxo

      Delete
  11. Tnx sola, I wish you wrote this earlier, I went on a first date about 2 mnths ago with sky high heels ,jeans $ top and so much foundation on my face and it turned out that the guy was short & so I was way taller bcos of my shoe. After seeing this post I'm thinking, is that y it didn't work out? Was it my appearance? Though I've convinced myself that it wasn't my appearance I still feel I would have looked better with a dress & less foundation.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwww!!! so sorry about that hon. Don't worry, you'll always get another one *winks* xoxo

      Delete
  12. Many thanks friends for your lovely and encouraging comments. Am really glad a lot of you found the article useful. I just hope i get an invite when the bells starts ringing......*winks*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember how I dressed wen I first met my inlaws, though I wore a skirt. A cute girly blouse and A knee length Aline girly skirt wiv an open toe ballet flats moderate makeup and stud earrings, and I made full fringe hair..and of course an alice band " it was invougue then.... I still hrd my sister inlaws say I was waaaaay too sophisticated. And my husband wouldn't be able to "mantain" me.and bla bla bla. I couldn't belive my ears.cuz they on d other hand wore heavy jwelry (Gold) and loud makeup.I latter discoverd it was jealousy. Anyways despite all that we still got married.... Sola nice blog dear. Tokoni

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww! My darlin Sola has done it again! Thanks love for this and for replyin my mails... Btw, can I go wit Ankara intead of the oyinbo fabrics? Thanks. Kharisma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear sola u r d best thing that has happened to blogsphere. Keeping d good work.The red lipstick thing go hard sha #diehardfan#

    ReplyDelete