Friday 16 August 2013

Africa Trending - Velvet and Lacy tops!



Velvet, velvet!! Velvet!!! You might stone me for this but i must admit i've never been a fan of velvet - never worn it before in my life just because i feel it is one fashion trend that is highly seasonal and (un)versitle. I feel it only comes around like one or two times in decades and that is it. It was really huge in the mid 90's while i was in junior high to extent that it even had a song (remember the father u-turn aposhe song hey, lol). Not until now that the world of fashion is giving an entirely new definition to the trend, i think i might just be changing my whole wardrobe to strictly velvet fabrics. You're gonna love this, more when you click........... 



Thanks to Africans, precisely Nigerians - the once hated fabric of mine has become one of my most adorned. I see several beautiful interperetaions to them these days and am like WOW. I remember while in church a few weeks back and this gorgously dressed lady (tying an embellished velvet wrapper paired with a lacy top) walked into the auditorium, believe me - i was distracted from getting my praise on all through the service. I looked at myself in the long floral dress i was wearing and felt ashamed to call myself African. Mehn, she looked amazing!



I see they are worn mostly for weddings as 'aso ebi', boy do they look dope! They are super catchy, elegant and a very good way to play up your friends for that special day. They are very beautiful and classy, worn by old, young, skinny, plus sized.....you name it. Amazing colors, patterns, designs, OMG!!! I am so love struck and excited for this trend. Am thinking there's a particular tribe that wears this as their traditional ensemble here in Nigeria right? Just not sure which.




So for a while now, I've been observing the trend from weddings, functions and various events - I guess it safe to say it is worth trying BUT you've got to get it right. The velvet is such a bulky looking fabric and due to its nature it could make you appear heavier thereby becoming unflattering when worn wrongly. So if you must get on with the trend, keep this few tips in mind







1. Personally, I love the embellished ones as compared to the plain. Velvet fabric could be really basic so if worn as such, it sort of downgrades its beauty. So, opt for the ones that come with added designs. Am not sure how much they cost but as I always say, if it looks good, then its worth it!



2. Wear stappy sandals - due to the heavy appearance of the fabric, pairing them with wedges or round toe pumps could be a little too much. Instead, opt for strappy heels or pointy toe stilettos. They bring out your legs better and elongates your body. Avoid thick straps too.


3. Go all the way African - channel your inner 'africanism'. Opt for beads instead of the regular costumes. Not that costumes don't look good but if you must wear Africa, why not go all the way. Am sure you know dem lovely layered beads and all that.......they look amazing! oh, please don't forget that 'gele skentele'! Lol! Velvet and blouse without gele, na wash!



4. Undergarment - very important. Wear a really good bra to really make your girls pop through the blouse. If you are plus sized, wear a spanx! and if you are skinny, wear a but pad.  For the fabric to look best from behind, you've got be a bit endowed in that area *winks* . Shhhhh.......a bit of cleavage would't hurt neither. Just small sha o!



5. Color - every color works great but i'l suggest you go with the rich tones of the season which are burgundy, plum/purple and mint.


6. The blouse - a lot of them are being worn with lacy blouses however, stay off long sleeves and sleeveless. If you are skinny, where a three quarter sleeve where the sleeve is just the lace and the body lined. If you are plus size, then you can wear a cap/short sleeve. Well, tube may work in some cases but I feel it won't fully bring out the beauty of the velvet fabric. Also, deep round and square necklines look great. I know some wear their blouses as buba as well and the wrappers in skirts - infact, just do whatever you want. When it comes to African designs, the possibilities are limitless!



Go all the way out with accessories, makeup and just look beautiful n enjoy yourselves.

Am co-designing one with my designer, can't wait to tap into the trend. How about you?

I love you for reading.......

Follow and share pictures with me on twitter @soladunn and let's get talking.............


Love,
SolaDunn.

19 comments:

  1. Anuty Soladunn. Abeg correct d where 2 wear in d blouse section. Luv u blog pieces.
    Xoxo
    Tolu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Velvet is a lovely material and cool too for the weather.
    I'm planning to get one too but maybe red and gold. I really loved toke's outfit.
    Pls sola ensure u snap and show us when u're done with ur designer. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can bet on that my dear! *winks*

      Delete
    2. Sola,u don't wanna knw ow much I love dis breath-taking velvet & lace trend......av got 1 too,its burgundy velvet & silver lace blouse,its rily dope. BTW my friend's wedding is in 2 weeks tym,still yet 2 knw wat colour of shoe 2 wear wit d baby blu lace & fuschia pink gele,pls help me out its rily urgent! Signed:#QUEENTY#

      Delete
  3. Sowie sola,I meant baby pink lace & fuschia pink gele...... I wanna make "iro & buba" I tink rily nice strapped 6 inches sandal wud b perfect,watchu tink? Signed: #QUEENTY#

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Just as i wrote, strappy heels are perfect.....and in 6', you're gonna be killing them *winks*

      Delete
    2. Wow,I tot as much buh wat colour of strappy heels do u tink will b perfect 4 d occassion since I don't wanna do d everyday gold or silver colour.... Was tinking royal blue tho,watchu tink? Signed:#QUEENTY#

      Delete
    3. Blue + pink is a beautiful combination. I would have loved for you to play up the look with a multi-colored strap sandals, you know to add a bit of fun. However, another option is to do a nude pointy toe stiletto. Its understated yet very sexy. Hope i was able to help.....xoxo!

      Delete
    4. Yes u were,tanx! Signed:#QUEENTY#

      Delete
  4. Love velvet!
    Planning to rock it soon but not traditionally.
    Prolly a short gown. Hehehehe.
    I'm tempted to repost this....
    Permission granted?

    Btw, I love ur blog!(I think I've said this b4).

    http://justporsh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha! Yes posh, you have! You do have an amazing style yourself. Permission granted maam but remember to add a link back! *winks*

      Delete
  5. Hey guys, how have u all been. Sola, yayadai? ( dats how r u in Hausa) been a while I went out of circulation . Nice piece on the velvets. Planning to rock mine soon hope it works out well as my backs kinda flat, lol.
    Cheers
    Mrs A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww welcome back Mrs A! Hows your little angel? Kisses to her! Its nice to have you back on here *winks*

      Delete
  6. Thank you Sola, my lil miss sunshine is fine.
    Chao.
    Mrs A

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please SDB, where can I get a spanx? I have asked but is lyk some dnt knw what a spanx is ? *sad face* I nid it desperately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should be able to get from any underwear store. They aren't really that scare now, are they? Lol!

      Delete
    2. Pls lemme knw wen u get 1. I nid 1 lyk air myself. Tanx! Signed:#QUEENTY#

      Delete
  8. Visiting your blog for the first time I must say I am impressed.keep up the good work,cnt wait to start bloggin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey ladies. Beautiful piece. Any idea were a girl can buy velvet fabrics and the lace online? I live in MD, USA. Thanks in advance....

    ReplyDelete