Sunday 4 August 2013

BRAIDS ARE FOREVER.......About, Styling, Care and Warnings!




Since am rocking one at the moment, why not write about it hey! Lol. While celebrities like the queen of dance-hall (Patra - love her to death BTW) from back in the day made the boxed braids iconic, we cannot per-say call the hairstyle a trend because its proven to be timeless and has been worn from ancient times. The Knowles sisters (Beyonce and Solange) are great examples of how the braids have evolved from the old school to the new school. Read more when you click



Braids are the absolute most recommended way of growing out your hair, taking a break from weaves and in most cases having to forget about combing and styling your hair for a while (lazy chicks like myself)

 

BTW, that's Patra by the right (up), spotted recently with her signature braids (doesn't she look like she's been frozen in a time machine or something, Lol, totally ageless). Braids is a go-to style for any and every woman regardless of class, profession, age or season. Please note, if you already have a damaged hairline, keep a slight brush in front of your braids.

 

It has over the years evolved and made its transition from the old school to the new school. Either for the present rainy season or the much heated up weather often experienced at this part of the world, the boxed braids is definitely a go-to hair style to embrace. Worn long, medium or short - boxed or dispersed.....here are a few ways these amazing women are keeping their gorgeous braids exciting and trendy.

Loose Knotting like Janet Jackson and Solange. Perfect for a retro girl. That touch of 80's early 90's thingy..............Looks really modern on these ladies now doesn't it.

 

Wrapping and Bunning like Beyonce and SolaDunn (my humble self, Lol). I wrote a post in the past on knotting - click here to view.

 

Adding a bit of 'edge'. This involves your individual style and creativity. This is usually wrapped into a pompadour for the more edgy fashionista. 

 

Curly - this is a more modern twist to the braids. The curls may come at the edges or all the way through

 

A touch of tweeze - sequel to the curly approach above, this could be either the popular 'water melon' or sometimes done with specialized extensions.

 

Letting it down like Christina and Brandy. This especially is great now that its the rainy season and we have little or no heat to worry about.

 

or wear it in a simple ponytail like what i have on below.



The possibilities of this trans-seasonal hairstyle is endless. So you see guys, 'BRAIDS ARE FOREVER'. What i typically love about this hair style is the fact that they are highly versatile, comfortable, economical and forever trendy. Thankfully the rainy season is one of my best periods to experiment with hair styles (bangs, overly long locks and so on). Now, would you consider switching to braids this season? If you are giving it a thought, here are a few tips to keep in mind,

Warning - keeping braids for too long is strictly frowned at because they end up pulling  badly and damaging your hairlines. Maximum of at-most 6 weeks will do.

Care - avoid over concentrated products. Go for natural product like Sheer-butter (ori),jojoba or coconut oil to constantly moisturize your long locks, hairline and scalp. 

I love you for reading, Have a fun filled week!

follow and share pictures with me on twitter @soladunn and lets get interacting..............


Love,
SolaDunn.

24 comments:

  1. Love you too for sharing. U rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks nice though but,I can't see myself siting down for hours just to get my hair done.Braiding is just not my thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!I take so much time to read your post..I find everything u write very intresting..go girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have this Sola:Muaah!.#talkingtothesociety#:Somebody please come and scout this fine geh na.If na state she be Lagos (centre for excellence),if na site she deh for centre.You good,babes.You good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oya, you sef take back - mmmmwwwwuaaaahhhhh!!!!!! Thanks love!

      Delete
  5. Lovely one#u on point#

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shea butter(no offence intended). Nice & trendy posts tho.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sola,wa† kinda​ braids is beyonce wearing @2nd pix,the Golden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is called the 'boxed' braids........xoxo

      Delete
  8. i lv braids but can't carry it 4 more dan 2weeks, cos it gets bad on time. sola wat can i do?

    Franny Peters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain darl and i totally understand your hair type. Have you tried it a few weeks after re-touching? That should keep it a bit longer before it getting rough. It might not last up to 6weeks but you can go as far as 4.

      Delete
  9. Hello Sola, pls dis is unrelated to this post but still in ur forte, pls what do ladies want most in dier jeans, is it fit, or..... And what r d best designers for denim. I am a new visitor to ur blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome on board. Ofcos, fit is the most important thing to look out for however you must consider your body type. My favorite Denim lines are Hudson and JustFab.

      Delete
  10. Sola,
    Quick one for you...seeing as I hardly ask u any questions u berra answer me!!!!! *straight face*
    How did beyonce wrap her hair in the above picture(the one before yours)....I love love it...but I don't know how to wrap it...the bun you have on is pretty easy to wrap
    Help a sister :-)
    Thanks

    Ch!oma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! What Beyonce has on is a messy bun. Its just as mine but not as defined. pack your braids into a high ponytail, instead of separating and rolling into a nut, wrap around in a circular motion. Don't worry if some strands fall off, that's the beauty. Just don't be too careful when wrapping cos the whole intention is for it to be messy. Hope this helps........xoxo!

      Delete
  11. i like braids,but lack the patience to sit down for hours.is just not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay sola mi...wia do I start from exactly cos honestly I dunno buh am gonna mail u since u'v refused to gimme wah I asked...newaiz am back 4 u after a summer trip outta dis place #u know +am on braids too and trust me av got lotta posts to do and am starting tonite#I don't know u buh av got dis awesome feeling abt how good a heart u've got, hope u come here soon *winks*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love evertin abt ur blog.I wld hve luv toi go for braids bt my hair is too soft hve tried it severally nt gud for my front hair especially or wot can I do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are having problems with your hairline, try a brush in front instead okay. That should ease the stress on that area.......xoxo

      Delete
  14. Okay sola mi wia do I start from uhn cos honestly I dunno buh am gonna say am back and I av got a lotta readings to do on previous posts....had a great summer trip outta here#uknow# + av got braids on like u too#luvs# u come accross as a awesome individual n u'v got a good heart girl #fenks 4 being who u are#muaaaaaah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wup wup!!!! OMG! welcome back Adebimpe mi. Gosh, can't wait to hear from you my dear. Missed you loads! Kisses!

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the love and words of encouragement as always ladies! *kisses*

    ReplyDelete
  16. The third beyonce pix,love the braids will love to Purchase it O,what is the name of the attachment?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey sola, I've been a silent Reader bt I've come out of my shells. What extensions do u recommend because xpression seems a little too heavy. I got royal silk ponytail, can I use that? Then whenever I braid, after 2 days max, the itching starts. I've used castor oil, spirit and all that but the only time my hair doesn't itch is when I rock my natural hair.

    ReplyDelete